Visa Info

Applying for a visa or residency can be tricky, but our experts will help guide you through the process

Ask for free advice

Interested in studying in Canada?

Canada is a fantastic destination for students seeking a world-class education and for professionals and tradesmen wanting to utilise their experience and skills. But whether you’re looking to study or work, it’s vital you have the right visa or permit. Check out the information here and speak to a member of the iae TORONTO team to find out more.


All international students entering Canada must have a study permit – a document issued by the Canadian Government allowing international students to study at a designated learning institution.

Eligibility criteria

In order to be eligible for a study permit, a prospective student must…
  • Obtain a letter of acceptance from a designated learning institution
  • Have planned living arrangements and sufficient financial support
  • Have a clean criminal record
  • Complete a medical examination if requested by the immigration department
  • Satisfy the immigration department that their main focus is on study and advancing their career
  • Show their study progress towards completing the program and respect any conditions listed on the study permit
Study permit conditions differ depending on your case, and may include…
  • The level of studies you can undertake
  • If you are allowed to work in Canada
  • If you can’t travel within Canada
  • The date you must stop studying

Renewing a study permit

To be eligible for renewing or changing your study permit, students must have maintained legal status during their studies. The means you must…
  • Not exceed the duration of your authorised stay
  • Comply with any conditions, such as restrictions of work and maximum working hours
  • Comply with the study requirements, including passing exams and having a good attendance record
  • Satisfy the immigration department that your focus is career advancement and not only work related
In general, you should submit your application at least 30 days before your current permit expires. If your current permit does expire, you will have to leave the country.

Post Graduate Work Permit

The Post Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP) is for students who have graduated from a Canadian post-secondary institution (college, trade or technical school, university or CEGEP) to gain work experience. A work permit under the PGWPP may be issued for a minimum of eight months and a maximum of three years, and is valuable for helping graduates qualify for permanent residence in Canada. Applicants are not required to have a job offer at the time of application.

Professionals and skilled workers

Canada’s growing economy needs skilled workers who are especially valuable to the economy and the strength of its workforce. Successful applicants of the skilled worker immigration program will receive a Canadian Immigration (Permanent Resident) Visa, allowing the applicant to immigrate to Canada with his or her family. In order to qualify for a Canada Immigration (Permanent Resident) Visa, we have selected two programs that may be most relevant to you.

Federal Skilled Worker

This program is for individuals with certain work experience who intend to reside in any province or territory outside of the province of Quebec. In order to be eligible, applicants must…
  • Have at least one year of continuous full-time or equivalent paid work experience in the past 10 years in a skilled occupation
  • Qualify for arranged employment In Canada with a labour market impact assessment and a full-time job offer from a Canadian employer
  • Have required language knowledge in one of Canada’s two official languages, English or French.

Federal Skilled Trades Class (FSTC)

To qualify for the FSTC, you must…
  • Have offers of employment from up to two employers in Canada of at least one-year duration OR a Certificate of Qualification from a provincial or territorial body
  • Provide proof of basic language proficiency from a designated language testing organisation
  • Have 24 months of qualified work experience in the skilled trade over the preceding five years
  • Be able to demonstrate the required skills and experience
Skilled trades currently eligible for the Federal Skilled Trades Class fall into the following general categories: Major Group 72: Industrial, electrical and construction trades Major Group 73: Maintenance and equipment operation trades Major Group 82: Supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production Major Group 92: Processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators Minor Group 632: Chefs and cooks Minor Group 633: Butchers and bakers

Interested in studying in Canada?


Need help finding the perfect institution?